Sunday, August 9, 2009

A family legacy

I got my first zit in fifth grade. Lucky early bloomer I guess. I know it was fifth grade because I distinctly remember an angry, husky bully named Chris making fun of me. (I choose not to include his last name to protect the innocent, namely, myself. I was afraid of that kid until....well, I'm still afraid of that kid.) I also remember that the chubby, weird girl in class made fun of me too. That offended me a bit, because who the heck was she to mock me? She was the chubby weird girl! My skin continues to be pretty awful. I really hate being an adult with unfortunate skin. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it though, it has outlasted every treatment I've tried. The only time I have nice skin is when I'm pregnant, but even that is not enough motivation to be pregnant more often. I tell you this because Sam seems to take after his mom. He's recently developed a nasty case of baby acne. He's pretty well covered in it. We've taken to calling him Baby Zits and Pizza Face. I never get any credit for the appearance of my sons. Everyone says they are Lee's boys. So Lee can take credit for Sam's looks, and I can take credit for his zits. Lucky for Sam, husky bully Chris is surely incarcerated in some maximum security facility and thus unable to make fun of his face.

4 comments:

The Bowldens said...

i feel your pain! i am have the same issues too. my skin is always so nice when i'm pregnant but then so nasty after words. in fact, my medication right now is making my skin all flaky and sick. but there is no way in hell i would ever get pregnant just to have nice skin!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, Kelsey. :) I'm sure Sam's face will clear up soon. -Claire

Natalie said...

Awww, my kids get crazy baby acne too. It usually clears up by 3 or 4 months so don't worry--it won't last forever. And I can't think of who "Chris" might be--probably part of my mommy dementia. And my skin is WORSE when I'm pregnant--at least you have SOMETHING nice about pregnancy.

jayna said...

I wish I had Nat's life amnesia. Unfortunately my memories of Chris D------s are crisp and horrifying.

And, surely we all focus on what we have, or didn't have, at that age....I recall more than one boy (of the much brighter and better looking variety than Chris) who didn't mind a zit or two when your chest had so much more to offer in 6th grade...

I had no zits, but no bosoms. Which was more important in 6th grade? THE SAME ONES THAT ARE NOW! So you're good. ;)