Monday, October 27, 2008

Let's all feel bad for Anja

Every eight weeks at Lee's station they change shifts. We've been kind of out of the shift changing loop of late, as we were off in DC and then he was in training, etc. So yesterday was our first shift change in a while. And wouldn't you know he is rotating to the worst shift of all. Midnights. This means that for the next 8 weeks my husband wanders around the house in a delerious zombie fashion, trying to survive on a few hours of interrupted sleep, and I get to be a bit of a single parent, because delerious zombies have a hard time parenting. The story gets even more tragic when I tell you that Lee went in to work last night at midnight, and he's still there, at 2:00 in the afternoon. Making, thus far, 14 hours of work, and he's not done yet. And all this because they caught some low life human smuggler. Low life smugglers require a lot of paperwork. Lest you get overly concerned I will tell you that this does not happen very often. It's been many a month since he was stuck at work so long, but that doesn't make it any less lame. So yes, Lee is working away in an exhausted stupor, and I'm at home being a single parent to a napping toddler (hard work), but the real loser here is Anja. She goes where Lee goes, and this means that she has spent the last 12 hours or so trapped in a confined area waiting for Lee to finish low life smuggler paper work.

In other news, Mitchell ate half a bag of peas for lunch today, and nothing else. My feelings are divided, yes he ate vegetables, but peas are the candy of the vegetable world, so does it count?

6 comments:

Rachelbarnard@hotmail.com said...

lol, peas count...EVERY veggie counts!

jayna said...

Poor Kelsey. Poor Anja.

Not so much poor Mitchell...that was quite the dinner.

I too have been divided on the veggies for dinner line. Grace would eat a bowl of corn if I let her, but corn isn't even GREEN.

Kathryn Fuller said...

Peas definately count, I think that corn is the candy of all vegtables. At least peas have more nutritional value than corn.

E. Poole said...

I am just wondering what Lee working all night has to do with Mitchell eating half a bag of peas. I don't get the connection. I guess you look at eating half a bag of peas like this: would you rather have him eat 1/2 bag of candy corn or real peas? Yep, that's right, peas are good. Good job. I don't like peas.

The Bowldens said...

i love reading your blog cos its so dang funny! peas are still nutritious, so be grateful that he ate them.

B.T.B.B. said...

We've had those nights! Got to love shift work.