Just a little update on what we've been up to lately. While Lee is at work Mitchell and I take a few hours between his naps and do a little touring. I'm pretty much seeing this city in little pieces. I'll probably have to go to everything several times. Mitchell just doesn't have the patience for a whole lot of sightseeing. Last week we went to the zoo again. I thought he would like the petting zoo area because he could get up close to the animals. Which would have been great, but I forgot how loud cows are when you're up close to them. So he ended up in scared little tears, and may never be able to look at a cow again. However, he recovered and walked right up to the donkeys like he's been doing it everyday. We also went by the White House. Mitchell was tired and crabby, so I mostly just saw it as we were walking past it on our way back home. I'll have to go back for a better visit. Sometimes I wish that Mitchell had been a little older when we came here. He's getting to see all kinds of cool things, and he doesn't even care. At the White House he was more interested in trying to drop a stick down a sewer drain, at the Washington Monument he just wanted to pull the grass, and at the Lincoln Memorial he was just mad he couldn't get in the reflecting pool. I guess he'll have the pictures to prove he was there, since he won't remember any of it.
On Fridays after Lee gets off work we usually meet him at a museum. We've covered most of the Smithsonian Museums. We went to the American Indian Museum, which I was looking forward to. I know, being married to an Indian doesn't make me one, but I can pretend right? All I can say about that museum is, what a disappointment! The displays were scarce and kinda lame. And there weren't any exhibits about Navajos or Hopis, which is what I wanted to see. We spent more time in the gift shop than the museum. So, bascially, if you ever find yourself in DC, don't bother with the American Indian Museum. This past weekend we went to the Air and Space Museum which I liked more than I thought I would. I'll just come right out and say it, I think the space program is a big fat waste of money. That being said, it was still cool to see the space suit Buzz Aldrin wore on the moon, and various other spacey artifacts. We also saw the Wright Brothers plane and the plane Amelia Earhart became famous in. Again, we spent more time in the gift shop than the museum, we're just like that. I'm loving seeing actual pieces of American history! On Saturday we went to the National Postal Museum, which is not nearly as lame as it sounds. It was actually interesting. So there's a brief summary of the last little while. Nothing too exciting, but good times anyway!



2 comments:
It's like you are a Humanities major...I'm still jealous of your culturally stimulating summer! Thanks for the "get well" wishes- I'm almost 100% now, thank goodness for the welfare of my children. Anyways, I hadn't ever heard of bookmooch, so thanks for the heads up!
And since I myself am of Native American descent, I'm shocked and appalled at the lack of coolness of that museum.
Kelsey,
That's so exciting you can be in DC for awhile! We've been there twice and got to walk around to the various museums and parks. There is so much to do & see there! I bet you are loving it! It's so pretty & green and I love the Cherry blossoms! Have a fun time!
Sherry
Post a Comment