Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!





We decided to avoid the inevitable Memorial Day crowds in DC and head to Old Town Alexandria. I really enjoyed my day. I love historical places. This place has been around since before the Revolution. Beautiful cobblestone streets, period townhouses, Potomac views, seriously if I was loaded I'd have a summer home there. We visited the church that George Washington and Robert E. Lee went to. The church has a cemetary. Call me morbid, but I love old cemetaries. Some of the headstones in this one were defaced by Union soldiers during the Civil War. And that reminded me of a great eternal truth, guys have always been guys. These particular soldiers thought it was hilarious to carve a 1 into the headstones in front of the age the person was when they died. So, instead of dying at age 52, the headstone now says they died at age 152. Seriously, I can totally see my brothers doing that.



3 comments:

becca said...

i loved old town alexandria. when we are filthy rich we will buy a house there.

jayna said...

that is a gorgeous picture of you and lil mitch on that street! I want to visit! I'm dreaming of course. So while I'm at it, we'll take the summer home next door to yours...

Diana & CJ said...

There is a cemetery similar looking to that one in NY. Right in Manhattan, it's super old & kind of creepy but cool.