Tuesday, May 19, 2009


Yesterday it was slightly overcast and twice the sky sprinkled rain. It made my day. There were many things about desert life I didn't understand before I moved to Arizona. The fact that heat can physically hit you like a wall and cause you to be unable to breathe was one of them. I think the biggest surprise discovery for me though was how monotonous and depressing constant sunshine can be. No matter the month, no matter the season, you are basically guaranteed to wake up to a very bright sunny sky, with few clouds. I know, I know, that's the reason a lot of people move to the desert, it sounds like it would be lovely. Sometimes I just need a little variety! A break from relentless sun. The sun is different here, it's brighter, more intense. I never felt sunglasses were an absolute necessity until I got here. This crazy sunniness seems to be erasing my memory of any other sort or weather. Last month when I went to Idaho to visit my parents I was contemplating how weird it is that it takes so much time for the weather to transition from cold to hot. And then I thought, Wait! That's called Spring! I completely forgot that there was a season of transition between winter and summer, it just is no longer in my weather vocabulary. I suppose this depressing weather blog is brought on by the fact that summer weather is here and I have to deal with it until November, at least six months of 100 degrees plus. It's just May and I'm already feeling housebound. Sigh. Poor me. We are currently in the process of getting our backyard landscaped, so that when we are able to go outside, at least we have somewhere decent to go. We can't have our little patch of grass soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

6 comments:

emily said...

it's times like this--when may is unbearably hot and i know i have months more ahead of me--that i remember i didn't have to drive in snow this year. or try to. and have lots of ice cream.

E. Poole said...

I am excited to see your new backyard!! I imagine Mitchell and I will spend a fair amount of time out there when I am down for the birth of grandbaby 2! I haven't figured out how we're going to go out there without frying ourselves, but I will watch some wilderness survival shows to get some pointers. Our spring weather has been pretty nice - still cold in the am, but it warms up nicely in the afternoon to the mid 70's. Hang in there!

Russ Jensen said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm in Vegas so not quite as hot as where you guys are at but pretty close. It seemed to go from not needing AC to having to have it on around the clock. I'm nervous to see our first electricity bill. I'm also still trying to accept the fact that to get any cycling or mountain biking in I'm going to have to wake up before 8 o'clock!!

I guess we make up for it in the winter though. It is nice to call family in Washington in January and report that it's 70 degrees and sunny when they are dealing with their 45th day of rain =)

The Bowldens said...

you guys can always come up to the northwest! i know you would love it up here!!!

The Teagan Times said...

I forgot to comment on this one. I would be far more sympathetic had you not posted that gorgeous picture of the desert. I mean take a picture of a melted cd you left on your dash or a flip flop that is not one with the cement. Just for future reference. :)

Ruth said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I miss overcast days and rain.